For nearly a decade, Tamla practiced law in Charlotte, North Carolina, where she represented over two thousand clients in the areas of family and criminal law. Her practice included representation in the areas of divorce, child custody, child support, equitable distribution, alimony, adoptions, name changes and federal criminal matters. She was also appointed by the Chief District Court Judge of Mecklenburg County as the lead attorney prosecuting child support contempt matters in non-Child Support Enforcement matters.
Tamla left Charlotte and returned to her hometown of Washington, DC, where she served a nine year stint on Capitol Hill as the General Counsel/Subcommittee Director for the House Committee on Homeland Security Subcommittee for Oversight, Investigations and Management. Tamla recently returned to North Carolina and to her roots as a practicing attorney.
Shortly after her arrival in Durham, NC, Tamla once again opened her own firm, the Law Office of Tamla Y. Tymus, but shortly thereafter saw the benefit of teaming with her law school classmates and joined Frasier and Griffin, PLLC as Of Counsel, where she practices in the areas of family law, criminal law and security clearance matters.
Tamla also serves as an Adjunct Professor Campbell University School of Law teaching Family Law. She was previously an Adjunct Professor teaching National Security Law at the North Carolina Central University School of Law and a Strategic Advisor for the Government Technology and Services Coalition.
She is a sought-after speaker, panelist and workshop presenter on issues related to her professional experience and motivating others to personal success. She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science/Pre-law from Norfolk State University and a Juris Doctor Degree from the North Carolina Central University School of Law. She is a member of the North Carolina Bar, the Durham County Bar, the American Bar Association, the National Bar Association, the National Association of Black Women Attorneys, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Women in Homeland Security, Women in Government Relations, Jack and Jill of America, and Delta Sigma Theta, Sorority, Incorporated. She is also a lifelong member of the National Registry of Who’s Who in the area of Law.
- Lifelong Member, National Registry of Who’s Who
- Three Best Rated, 2019
- Family Law
- Security Clearances
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Violations
- North Carolina, 1996
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1996
- Norfolk State University
- Bachelor of Arts - 1992
- Major: Political Science/Pre-law
- North Carolina Bar, Member
- Durham County Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Black Women Attorneys, Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
- The North Carolina Society of Washington, Member
- Jack & Jill of America, Inc., Member
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Member
- House Committee on Homeland Security Subcommittee, Capitol Hill, General Counsel/Subcommittee Director
- Law Office of Tamla Y. Tymus, Founder
- NCCU School of Law, Adjunct Professor
Pro Bono Activities
- Women in Homeland Security
- Women in Government Relations
Fraternities & Sororities
- Delta Sigma Theta
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, Family Law, Campbell University School of Law
- Former Adjunct Professor, National Security Law, North Carolina Central University School of Law, Strategic Advisor for the Government Technology and Services Coalition