Don’t Ruin Your Future Over Marijuana Charges
Most people in North Carolina are aware of common arguments for and against legalizing medical and/or recreational marijuana in our state. While various other states have legalized marijuana, as of this writing (summer of 2023), it remains illegal in our state. An arrest on suspicion of a marijuana-related crime can be just as serious for your future as any other crime.
This means that if you are under investigation, have been arrested or have been charged with a crime involving marijuana, your future may be on the line. A conviction for a state or federal crime can bring a long list of negative consequences to your life, including:
- Jail time
- A criminal record
- Social stigma and lingering difficulties in your personal and professional life.
At Frasier & Griffin, PLLC, we pledge to tell you what you need to understand – not just want you may want to hear after you have experienced a marijuana-related arrest.
Varieties Of Criminal Charges And How We Can Help
You may have been accused of one of the following misdemeanors or felonies involving marijuana, also known as “pot”:
- Possession of less than half an ounce, a misdemeanor punishable by a $200 fine
- Possession of half to one-and-a-half ounces, punishable by up to $1,000 and up to 45 days in jail
- Possession of one-and-a-half ounces to ten pounds, a felony punishable by up to $1,000 and 3 to 8 months in jail
- Trafficking of 10 to 50 pounds, a felony punishable by up to $5,000 and 25 to 30 months in jail
- Trafficking of 50 to 2,000 pounds, a felony punishable by up to $25,000 and 25 to 42 months in jail
- Trafficking of 2,000 to 10,000 pounds, a felony punishable by up to $50,000 and 70 to 84 months in jail
- Trafficking of 10,000 pounds or more, a felony punishable by up to $200,000 and 175 to 219 months in jail
Please note that for higher amounts, charges may be for a federal crime rather than a local or state crime. Also, for high-level felonies, the time served behind bars may be in a federal prison rather than jail.
Other charges may involve the cultivation of marijuana, distribution to a pregnant woman or other specific offenses. If Frasier & Griffin, PLLC, is your drug crime defense firm, you can expect aggressive representation. We will manage your case with a determined pursuit to help you get the least punitive outcome attainable. We hope that you will also give your best efforts to obtain a result that will give you hope for the future.
Let’s Get Started Designing Your Defense Strategy
The sooner you have one of our lawyers on your side, the more options there may be for a favorable outcome in your marijuana case involving cultivation, possession, distribution or trafficking.